Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Best Disney Songs.


Wow. I just realized that I haven’t hit upon a goldmine of blog material! Disney! I mean, there’s so much to write about, timeless fairytale characters, how Simba means “lion” in Swahili (I mean really Disney, you couldn’t be more creative than that?), and how D.J. Tanner’s boyfriend is the voice of Aladdin. So much to write about I may just become an exclusive Disney blog. We’ll see; I’m not going to commit to anything quite yet. Anyway, what better place to start than songs which many of us could sing before we knew how to tie our shoes? Timeless classics whose lyrics will forever be engrained into our minds right between those of the Pokerap and the Oscar Meyer song; how can we forget?


11. “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” – The Lion King

Okay, so this is the level that destroyed my seven year old self on the Lion King game on Super Nintendo…Yeah, so it was like the second level but this was when video games didn’t have an infinite amount of lives and were actually challenging to seven year olds. So while trying to beat that level what probably came to hundreds of different times with this song playing in the background I would have to say that it has been engrained into my head more than the others. And how can you not love a little pun action with the line: “I’m gonna be the main event”?


10. “Part of Your World” – The Little Mermaid

            Yeah, okay, so it’s a girly song but come on who isn’t inspired by the wind blowing in Ariel’s hair as she is singing on that rock? And who doesn’t laugh when that Lilo & Stitch commercial came out with Stitch riding that huge wave behind her. Really though, the song is about women’s rights. I mean “Proper women sick of swimmin’/ready to stand”? Come on Disney, we’re on to you.



9. “Hakuna Matata” – The Lion King

            This song truly was not just a passing craze. Seventeen years later everyone knows what “Hakuna Matata” means. A true coming of age song (Simba like grows up in about 20 seconds), “Hakuna Matata” taught Swahili to American toddlers everywhere. Although I’m not so sure I quite agree with the message: Life without consequences while living in a tropical paradise? What do you think we are, Hawaiian’s?



8. “Under the Sea” – The Little Mermaid

            In response to Ariel’s clamoring for life on the greener side of the fence, the Caribbean crab, Sebastian, campaigns for a bluer life. What I don’t understand is how all these fish can sing when they don’t possess vocal chords. Its just completely not realistic. Also, what’s the deal with Ariel being able to belt it out above the water in “Part of Your World”? Get your facts straight Disney.



7. “One Jump Ahead” - Aladdin

            And so begins the soundtrack for Aladdin on this list. Y’all can deal with it though because Aladdin is the best Disney movie and that is an indisputable fact. I think it possibly might be the first movie I ever went to in a movie theater because it is among my first memories of watching a movie in a theater. Listen to this song and try and stop it from playing over and over again in your head. You can’t. That’s also an indisputable fact.



6. “Zero to Hero” – Hercules

            Okay, again, try and listen to this song and stop it from repeating in your head until your ears bleed. A true example of the American dream. Seriously, who is more American than Hercules. Rising to fame through his strength and athletic ability is definitely an American ideal!



5. “Friend Like Me” – Aladdin

            I don’t know if Genie was specifically created for Robin Williams or Disney just knocked it out of the park with casting, but Genie is probably the greatest supporting role ever in any Disney movie. Mushu you say? Eddie Murphy wishes his performance was half of Robin Williams’. Williams brings shame upon the Klumps’ when comparing the two.



4. “Prince Ali” – Aladdin

            See above. I sure wish I had a pet elephant. Imagine riding to school on an elephant. Move over Rebecca Black, no more seat dilemma here, there’s room to kick in the back seat, the front seat and the trunk!



3. “Circle of Life” – The Lion King

            NAAAAAAAAAAAA SINWAITNYAAAAAA MAMAKEEEEESEE BOBOOOO siwaitnyanya. Bababa waitnya nay. Repeat as necessary.



TIE 1. “Make a Man Out of You” – Mulan

            The ultimate man song. If I was a professional baseball player I would come to the plate to this song. Forget “Hell’s Bells”, “Make a Man Out of You” gets the blood pumpin’, the rivers coursin’ the fires ragin’.



TIE 1. “A Whole New World” – Aladdin

            Alright guys, if you want to impress a girl learn every word to this song and be ready to serenade them on command. It will make them swoon 30% of the time, every time. It would help if you had a magical flying carpet and were able to whisk her across the world at speeds which must be equivalent to a F-16. Seriously, Aladdin covers some serious space in the span of about two minutes. Which attests to the super-human ability of Jasmine to keep her hair in place while traveling at that speed in an open air vehicle.



2 comments:

  1. I know I am going to come off old and senile here, but, as great as these songs are, you have omitted all songs that are not from your lifetime.
    I've Got No Strings, Never Smile at a Crocodile, Whistle While You Work, All The Cats Join In, The Siamese Cat Song are not to be ignored, rather compared to the modern greats.

    Now get off my lawn and turn that darn music down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did, I realized that as I was making the list. I am truly a child of the 90's.

    ReplyDelete